Sunday, May 13, 2018

Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day. The day that is solely focused on moms. In many families, moms carry the load so there is this one day to honor them. Us. The question that I start to see being asked across social media throughout the week leading up to this day is "What do moms really want on Mother's Day?'

Think about that.

How would you answer? How would your mom answer?

For those that are full time caregivers for medically fragile kids, I think that they would answer for whatever their child is struggling with would just play nice for one day. For me, it is that Jack's diabetes would be in range for the day. Of course leading into this day his blood sugar was over 600 for a few hours. That meant that we had to change a pump site and have an insulin pen on stand by. I have heard from a lot of moms that they would just like to sleep in. For many caregiver parents, they would like to sleep a few hours without interruption.

What about those ladies who are celebrating, or rather making it through the day, without their mothers?

I have a few friends that spend this day remembering their moms and the impact that they had on their lives for the time that God allowed them to be here. For those that are moms and have lost their moms, I feel like the day is a bittersweet one. They are showered with love from their families and reminded how important they are but the one they most wish to celebrate with is no longer here. If you have a friend or know someone who is celebrating this Mother's Day without their mom, show them some love. It's a tough day when you don't have that parent around anymore to shower them with love and appreciation on their day.

Another thing that I always think about on Mother's Day is legacy and impact. Many Mother's Days at church are spent talking about this. Believe it or not, moms have a great impact on their children. Positive or negative, there is some type of impact. Even if you are not a mom and you have influence not the lives of kids (of all ages), you are leaving a legacy and an impact. When I think about this, I think about the impact and legacy my mom has set for me. In loving and taking care of my dad, she taught me how to give to others. That's where my heart for serving comes from. I saw her pour everything out for my dad everyday but also show up to the ball park to work many hours in the concession stand and coach my softball teams. She taught me how to be a wife who loves unconditionally and is in it for the long haul. I saw my parents fight, as many parents do, but I also saw my parents apologize and continue to work on their marriage. That's when I realized that marriage is work and you can't take it for granted. She taught me how to fight for what is right and to stand up for what I believe in. She taught me how to be a friend. A friend for life. She taught me how to be a mom. Being a parent is not easy. There is no manual but there are examples of what to do and what not to do.

What legacy and impact am I leaving for Jack?

What legacy and impact are you leaving?

Find a mom today and tell them how much they are appreciated and loved. If you are a mom and don't have any support in your life, I am here to tell you that you are amazing and that you are loved.

Happy Mother's Day to all you amazing women out there!


No comments:

Post a Comment