Saturday, May 12, 2018

Hello

Well, here we go. I have been toying around for some time on what to do. I have had one of my son's doctors tell me that I should write a book about all of our experiences as it would help other families in the similar boat that we are in. Let's be honest, no one is in the same boat as anyone else because if we were we would be sinking. I figured that starting and writing a blog would be the easiest way to share my experiences of this life that we live. I guess the best place to start would be at the beginning.

You found me. What now? What is this blog all about? Who am I? What do I have to tell you?

I am Kim. I'm a 30-something wife and mother. I have been married to my husband for 13 years. I am a military wife. I'm mom to an almost 11 year old boy. There's the basics. At this point, you are probably saying that I am just like anyone else. Here's a little more to me. I love to laugh, fiercely loyal to my friends. I love all kinds of sports - mostly soccer, Florida Gators and Chicago Cubs. I love loud colors. I love Jesus.

Woah. I know.

Now for the story. What is this all about? What experiences do I have to share with you?

I am the mother of an almost 11 year old boy. He has a chronic illness. He has ADHD and ODD. He has Type 1 Diabetes. He has a service dog. He is a very smart kid who is beginning a big transition.

Keep reading.

Growing up, I was the daughter of an amazing dad. A dad that took everything in stride. He was a hard worker that just wanted to provide for his family. But he was sick. I don't remember at what age I realized that my dad was sick. My dad was also a Type 1 Diabetic. He died when I was 17 years old. For almost my whole childhood, I grew up learning how to take care of my dad and be responsible while my mom was working. I learned how to be a good wife. I learned all about this disease that I didn't have a choice in learning about. I learned to draw insulin into small insulin syringes. I watched as my dad gave himself shots in case I ever needed to give him one. I learned how to look for the signs of a low blood sugar and how to react to help save my dad. On many occasions I helped my grandfather keep my dad calm so that help could be administered by the fire department. I also learned about every side effect of Type 1 Diabetes. He had them all - blindness, failing kidney, loss of circulation and loss of limbs. Finally, I learned death. I am not here to make you sad or for you to feel sorry for me.

Full circle. God was preparing me.

I just didn't know it yet.

2014 is when life changed again. 6 year old little boy is very sick. We are not exactly sure why. Stomach bug from school or his soccer team - possible. After putting things together, my mom and I figured it out. Type 1 Diabetes. A visit to the pediatrician the next morning confirmed it. Calm. I had to stay calm. I had to make sure that my sweet boy wasn't scared. I also knew that there was nothing that could be done to change this diagnosis. Calm. A week in the hospital learning all about this disease. I often tell others that diabetic parents should be given an honorary M.D. when they leave the hospital. I now had to do this all over again. You know what showed up in the car on the way home from the hospital. Not a scared little boy but a boy that was taking everything in stride. At almost 7 years old.

Calm.

I am going to try my best to share our experiences over the past years. Not only with Type 1 diabetes but with ADHD, ODD, therapy, service dogs, school. Mostly I want to make sure that everyone who reads this knows that no matter what they are going through, they are not alone. I want to help those that love people who are struggling with these issues to be a good friend, a listening ear, and a hug when it is needed.

Stick with me.

3 comments:

  1. Continue this blog young lady. I know it can help and be an encouragement to many others in a similar boat. Job well done. Happy Mother's day. Fran Hurst

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, Kim! So proud and thankful that you are willing to share your family’s journey with others.

    ReplyDelete